Thursday, February 19, 2009

We've hit a new phase of life...

I don't know who's more upset, Emma or me. See, we've entered into a new world - Emma is grounded. For two weeks. For lying to me. I'm at a loss. She's lied before, but she was young enough to punish in the toddler-way. Even taking away a privilege seemed sufficient. But not so much anymore. Last night Emma and I were getting ready to go to gymnastics - her favorite activity of the week. I told her to go to the bathroom before we left. Her first mistake was talking back to me by saying "I went when I got changed" - which was at 4:00. It was now 6:00. My response was - I didn't ask if you needed to go, I said go. Do not talk back and just do what I ask you to. So she trots off to the bathroom. At the same time I went into my room to change quick and came back out. I was in there maybe all of 45 seconds. When I come out of my room, Emma is already getting her shoes on. I knew there was no way in the world she could have undressed out of her pants and leotard, gone potty, gotten re-dressed in said leotard, washed her hands and been out in time to be putting her shoes on. No way in the world. So I immediately know she didn't go - so I asked her "did you go potty?" She responded "I did." My response - trying to give her a second chance "Are you sure you went - that was awfully fast" and she quickly responded with "I went!" Damn. She must think I'm so dumb. I called her over to me and said oh so sternly - "you're not telling me the truth, are you?" She stared at me blankly for a moment, and I just about lost it. Sensing this, she finally says "I didn't go." I told her she didn't get to go to gymnastics and sent her to her room. Once she was upstairs I talked to Dave about it and we both felt that keeping her from gymnastics wasn't the right punishment, since we're paying for her to be there. Instead we decided she wasn't allowed to play with her best friend (or any friend for that matter) for two weeks. What's hard about that for her is her friend lives across the street. So Emma has to see her outside playing and she doesn't get to - that'll sting. It's weird - she's not even 8. Where did I go wrong? And why did she choose this to mess up on? All I asked her to do was pee! Sheesh!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I do not look forward to these days! hang in there, its the right thing!
-h

Adrienne said...

Aww Mom! You are doing great! I punish Tyler and Noah ALL the time! Have even gotten the "I HATE YOU!" Thrown at me a few times! Yeah it hurt at first, but now I know he doesn't mean it. Now after he says it and stomps off, he'll cool off, come back out, give me a hug, and apoligize and say he loves me. What a reward! But it is something all kids have to go through. Consiquences to their actions. I always wondered how my Mom knew everything. I look at my kids now, and understand. They are open books! Just know, you aren't doing anything wrong. It's part of life, and unfortunately, we have to deal out the punishments.
Squeezes to you!